Friday, May 28, 2010

A Good Brow Pencil is Hard to Find

Since I have fine, sparse, light brows, filling them in is an absolute must for me, even if I'm just running a quick errand or going to the gym. I envy the girls with full, perfectly shaped brows (Kim K I'm talking to you!) So of course I've searched high and low for the perfect brow product, which is pretty damn hard to find! Especially at mass. I did manage to find two stand out brow pencils - at splurge/steal prices! 

The jury is still out on pencil vs. powder, but I'm a pencil girl and here's why: it actually looks much more natural if you're applying correctly, i.e. in short, feathered strokes, then blending with a brow brush (make sure pencil is freshly sharpened). Powders, at least on me, look too heavily applied and opaque, but some people swear by them. So, to each his own I guess.

Anastasia Brow Whiz: Naturally, the woman that basically invented perfect brows would have my favorite brow product of all time. Brow Whiz is a super skinny pencil that creates perfect arches in seconds. The pencil is so small and slim some might wonder how this even does anything, but the size is the key - when using short strokes, it mimics drawing in little brow hairs so the effect is perfectly polished, yet natural. Plus there's a little spooly brush on the other end to blend. Available in three, very versatile colors: Ash Blonde, Medium Ash and Brunette. I'm a light blonde and can switch back and forth between Ash and Medium Ash so play around and see what works for you. Available at Sephora for $20.

Searching for a good brow pencil at mass is as useless as searching for meaning in a Pauly Shore movie. (please tell me you picked up on this movie reference) But, I managed to find the only good mass brow product (in my opinion) in Revlon Brow Fantasy, a dual-ended stick with a pencil on one end to fill in and a sheer, tinted gel on the other to set. Again, make sure the pencil is super sharp and apply with short strokes in direction of hair growth. I love the tinted gel on the end because it adds a little more definition, while setting all day and doing a final groom. Available in Dark Blonde, Brunette and Dark Brown for under $7 a piece. Pick it up at drugstores.

So are you a pencil or powder girl?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails