Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Red Carpet Recap: The Emmys

I have to be honest: I am not a fan of all the awards shows. I just find them boring and way too long. But I absolutely LOVE watching the red carpet beforehand! From the makeup to the hair to the fashion, there's nothing better than dreaming of owning the gown, the shoes, and having a whole glam squad get you ready for a night out. While the Emmys aren't exactly known for standout red carpet moments, there were a few looks that caught my eye.


I've mentioned my hair crush on Blake Lively before and here is no exception. For someone in her early twenties she always looks so put together and polished, but still age appropriate. And I love her cool braid here. Updos can feel so dated, but this is a fresh twist on a sleek, pulled back style. Huge bonus: it's totally easy to do yourself. First apply a straightening lotion (try Alterna Hemp with Organics Straightening Balm) to damp hair and blow dry super straight with a paddle brush. Gather hair at the crown and secure into a tight ponytail. Run hands coated in styling balm and smooth the hair from your face to the ponytail. Braid the ponytail, secure with a clear elastic (Goody makes some great ones) and finish with a mist of hairspray. If you're not attending an awards show anytime soon, try this look on Saturday night - it works dressed up or casual.


I can't stand Jennifer Love Hewitt, but her hair looked so pretty and romantic. And again, this is a great look that goes both casual and dressy and takes 10 minutes. First work a glossing cream into damp hair to prevent frizz and add a glassy sheen (one of my faves is Alterna Hemp with Organics Repair Gloss) then blow dry straight with a round brush keeping a center part. Set hair in large rollers or use a large barrel curling iron to create loose waves. When hair has cooled, pin back front sections and then take more glossing cream and and break up some of the waves.


On the makeup side, red lips were in full swing worn by the likes of Leighton Meester, Drew Barrymore and Hayden Panettiere. I've been having my own red lip moment lately and I highly recommend it if you want an instant feeling of fabulousness. Plus it takes two seconds to get out the door since when you're wearing a red lip you only need a thin black liner on the upper lash line, a swipe of mascara and a champagne hue on your cheeks. You can't go wrong with Maybelline Color Sensational in Red Revival or NARS lipstick in Red Lizard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails