Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Broke is the New Black


You can't even set foot into a now empty Starbucks without someone bringing up the economy. Everyone is watching their dollars. Even diamond chain wearing, yacht-traveling Diddy was quoted as saying he is cutting back on his excessive spending because he feels guilty buying Bentleys while the rest of us are contemplating trading in our already cheap Honda, for an even cheaper Kia. Something's gotta give. And since rent and food trump a new blush (usually) beauty products are the first thing to go when trying to curb the spending. 


Rather than completely cut the beauty out of my life, I've scoured the drugstore aisles to find a few little luxuries at a price that won't force me to write an IOU to my landlord the first of every month.


Revlon 3-D Extreme Mascara - Even if money was no object, I'd still be loyal to this mascara. Perfect for when you're craving a dramatic moment, this mascara creates long, curvy, crazy full lashes in a few quick sweeps. Friends, family members, even strangers ask me if I'm wearing falsies (the ultimate compliment to someone who feels more is more when it comes to lashes). And at only $9.99, you can buy this and still have working cable.


Olay Ribbons Body Wash - My long, hot showers are my "me" time when I can let the stress of the day go and pamper myself. I always indulged in fancy soaps and washes to create that zen-like spa experience in my tiny bathroom, but at $50 a pop, I'm going to have to put my Jo Malone habit on hold. Enter Olay Ribbons Body Washes. Each of the five varieties creates a fluffy, luxurious, indulgent lather that improves skin's tone and texture, and depending on the formula, moisturizes so well you can skip the body lotion apres-shower (another money saver!) $7.49 for healthy, radiant skin? Sold.



L'Oreal Infallible Never Fail Lip Gloss - I love a smooth, glossy lip. But as the requisite, "hold on let me reapply my lip gloss before we take this picture girl," I'm in constant search of a lippy that isn't dry or cakey, has a glassy, super shiny sheen and stays on past the first sip of pinot. My friends told me I was crazy if I thought such a gloss existed. But then I found Infallible. Somehow this gloss manages to stay on the requisite six hours (a feat in itself), but even better it stays looking polished, glossy and hydrated at the same time. At $9.99 a piece you can scoop up three for the price of one department store gloss.


John Frieda Luminous Color Glaze - As someone who has visions of glossy hair dancing around in her head when she goes to sleep, I've been searching high and low for a budget-friendly alternative to a professional glazing treatment. During one of my many drugstore research trips I stumbled upon this DIY glaze. It comes in blonde, brunette and red, which adds incredible sheen with the benefit of a color boost, or a clear formula for those who just want shine sans color deposit. I use the clear variety as a weekly shine treatment, applying to dry hair, leaving in for 20 minutes and shampooing out. A small investment at $9.99, I can't help but stare at my shiny-haired self when passing a window.


Let me know what you think of these beauty bargains, and drop me a note if you have some fab finds of your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails