Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Bright Lip: Don't Be Afraid


September is what I like to refer to as "The Fall Issue" month. Every magazine has this huge, bible-sized issue of what's cool, what's not, and what we should have never worn last year. And beauty, much like fashion, always has a new fall trend. I love scouring the mags for some new look inspiration, but every time the trend was bright lips I let out a huge groan. I was always more of an "emphasis on the eye and a pinky beige, peachy beige, champagne, nude, anything that looks like you're not actually wearing anything on your lips" kind of girl. I would always attempt to create this fabulous red or bright lip only to totally hate it and feel like it was way too much. 



And then when I opened up one of my September issues, there it was, staring me right in the face: 5 Hot New Beauty Trends and numero uno was Bright Lips. I thought this is it, this is my year. I started slow with a gloss (Bare Escentuals Buxom Lips in Kanani a glossy, vibrant pink with a tingly plumping effect), paired with a neutral eye and cheek. When I walked out of the bathroom my husband instantly said he liked my lip color (or more specifically "What's on your lips? I like it." Something he hasn't said in the seven years we've known each other). High on the compliment I pushed the envelope further next time and went for a full-fledged lipstick. M.A.C Lipstick in Impassioned (a warm-toned fuchsia, which works well no matter what your skin tone) was my Saturday night out test (applied with a lip brush for precision). I received rave reviews and just generally felt fabulous, but probably what I love most is a bold lip really cuts down the time on your "get ready to go out routine," without sacrificing a finished look. Think about it: it takes much less time to slick on lipstick than painstakingly creating a smoky eye. 



Just be sure to keep the rest of the face neutral and let the lips take center stage. I used NARS Orgasm blush with a very light hand, the peachy pink shade in the Smashbox Eyelights palette in Flash, drew a very thin line with black liner and swept on a few coats of Revlon 3-D Extreme mascara. The result? A polished look and a pout that begs to be noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails