Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sun and Sunburn

Friends, I got the worst sunburn this weekend, and I can almost see the look of disgust on the faces of all the derms that I've spoken with over the years that have drilled it into my head to religiously apply SPF. And I did, SPF 15 to be exact. I even reapplied. But I guess I underestimated the strength of the sun on that lovely Sunday afternoon where I spent four hours on the beach. 

It was one of those days where you feel as though you're getting no color at all and then all of the sudden you notice you're turning a little pink, which will then in turn be lobster red later, but it's already too late to do anything by that point because the damage is done. My skin is itchy, sensitive and just all around feels really uncomfortable. Since I've had more burns than I care to admit, check out my tips for soothing them below:

Wear loose fitting, cotton clothing. Most fabrics will feel like sandpaper against raw, sunburned skin, so stick to lightweight cotton dresses if possible. And avoid denim at all costs. 

Do NOT put on moisturizer, even the kind for sensitive skin. I will never understand why when someone gets sunburned they have the urge to slather themselves in thick moisturizer. It traps the heat people! It will make you feel ten times worse.

There are tons of fancy after sun products out there, but nothing beats plain old aloe vera gel. My fave is Banana Boat Aloe After Sun Gel because it's incredibly soothing, can be applied head to toe, is cheap and effective. Keep it refrigerated for true relief from the burn. 

And next time, I'm wearing at least a 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails