Friday, November 6, 2009

A Case of Broken Capillaries


So I recently had a facial for the first time in a long time, and when it came time for the esthetician to shine the big scary light over my face while looking through the magnifying mirror to "see what's going on with my skin," I immediately went into panic mode. All I could think was omg she's going to tell me I have huge pore, lines around my eyes, why haven't I been exfoliating more, my skin's a total diaster etc. etc. After a heart racing minute she says well your skin is in good shape, but what have you been doing about the broke capillaries around your nose?

Um....I'm sorry what? is how I responded. I had no clue I even had broken capillaries. Turns out that broken capillaries are most common around the nose and mouth and are caused by aging, trauma, sun exposure and smoking. Since I'm not even 30, don't smoke and haven't experienced any facial trauma, like ever, I'm going to go with sun exposure as the culprit. As if we needed another reason to wear sunscreen! I have to be honest, I've been slacking on the 'screen lately which is so unlike me. But ever since said facial incident, I've been piling it on even when it's thunderstorming outside.


There are a few remedies for broken capillaries. You can go the expensive pulsed dye laser route (treatments are about $400 a pop and you'll need two-three) or you can try topicals containing horse chestnut, which according to research will eradicate veins. I went the topical route and I've been LaTherapie Creme Fortifiante on the recommendation of my esthetician. The cream is used morning and night only on the affected areas and contains horse chestnut and red vine extracts to soften redness and support and protect skin. I'll let you all know how this works. 

I'm also using one of my favorite sunscreens, DDF Enhancing Sun Protection, a moisturizer with SPF 30 that also contains self-blending color spheres that help even skin tone and minimize the look of redness. The texture is amazing and you barely need foundation or concealer when you use this because it really does even out your skin. If you're a Gilt Groupe member you can scoop up this sunscreen for $16 instead of the usual $32 until November 9th (or supplies run out).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails