Tuesday, May 10, 2011

How To: Wash Makeup Brushes

So I had been neglecting my makeup brushes for quite some time and I finally gave them a good wash and it was literally like a whole new world applying my makeup (cue Aladdin theme song).

I couldn't believe how soft they were, how smooth my products went on and how true to color they were. It seems obvious, but chances are you don't wash your makeup brushes often enough, or properly.
  • Wet your makeup brush with lukewarm water
  • Pour a small amount of brush shampoo, baby shampoo or any other gentle shampoo (I personally like Peter Lamas Wheatgrass Purifying Shampoo because it's all natural) in the palm of your hand
  • Swirl the makeup brush in the palm of your hand and repeat the process until the suds are clear
  • Rinse with lukewarm water and squeeze out excess
  • Reshape and lay flat to dry on a paper towel
You really should be cleansing your brushes once a week, but if the whole process is just too tedious for a weekly routine, only wash key brushes this frequently, like your foundation brush, that are bound to collect lots of grime and bacteria. I also like to freshen up in between washes with Bare Escentuals Quick Change Brush Cleaner to make sure I'm not mixing my bronzes with my greys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails